Skip to main content


Showing posts from March, 2018

Flagstone Origami Tessellation

 Here's a newly folded flagstone tessellation. It looks three dimensional when backlit, but it's actually a flat fold. Both photos are of the same tess - front and back. Pretty neat how different they appear. I found the crease pattern on Robin Scholz's flickr page. It was a huge pain to fold, but in a good way. It's large hexagons surrounded by very closely packed rhombus twists. After having tried various methods for folding the complete pattern, I discovered the path of least resistance. At first I tried doing one molecule and then doing another whole molecule. That didn't work very well. Then I tried doing all the hexagons and attempting to fill in the rhombuses. That wasn't successful either. What did work was to prefold all creases. Then prefold all twists, except the very outer edges. Then assemble from the center outward using the genders created in the pape

Fractal Origami Tessellation

This is a variation on the Robin Scholz swarm tessellation. A central hex and then rhombuses and triangles. It's pretty when backlit. 

Triangle Twist Rings Origami Tessellation

Triangle twists on the front arranged around large hexagons on the back. From the book: Six Simple Twists: The Pleat Pattern Approach to Origami Tessellation Design by Benjamin DiLeonardo-Parker I bought it looking for inspiration for creating new designs. But I liked this pattern so much that I went ahead and just folded it verbatim. It was a little bit tricky to collapse. The folds had to go in a lot of different directions simultaneously. I started out trying to first do a hexagon twist and then the triangle twists that radiate off of it. That didn't work out well. So I switched to collapsing a full ring to start. Meaning I arranged one hex and the six triangles around it all together until I was able to flatten that unit all at once. Then I radiated out from there in a circular fashion collapsing additional hexagon/triangle units one at a time. The edges were tough to get to lay right. Probably would've been better with a few of the outermost pleats removed or
Solving Origami Tessellations dot com